How to Determine Where to Apply [Ep. 34]Nov 11, 2020
One of the first and most important decisions you need to make on your higher education journey is determining which schools and programs to apply to. Once you figure that out, much of the rest of the application process starts to fall into place. Yet, deciding where to apply isn't always straightforward. There are a lot of factors to consider. To help shed light on this important topic, we are joined in this episode of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast by Linda Abraham, founder of Accepted, who shares anecdotes, insight, and key considerations.
You can listen to the episode HERE:
Specifically, we discuss:
- The importance of determining your "North Star" as the driver of your decision about which programs to apply to -- and how to figure it out if you're unsure
- Why getting clear about your career goals is such an important first step, including its relevance to writing your Statement of Purpose on your applications
- Three good reasons for selecting target schools
- Several bad reasons for applying to a specific school or program
- The role that rankings should play in where you choose to apply (if at all)
- Where money (scholarships, tuition costs) should factor in to your decision
- How many schools you should apply to -- and whether or not your should have a "safe school" on your list
- Considerations for undergraduate applicants, and how they differ in some respects from the factors that are most important for grad school candidates
- What you can do to boost your profile if your stats (test scores, GPA, etc.) aren't currently in alignment with your dream school
- And more!
If you're just starting the admissions process, what Linda has to share will help ensure that you're going back to school for the right reasons and that you pick a school that you will enjoy while you're there and that will serve your long-term goals well. And if you're already knee-deep in the process but not 100% confident in your list of target schools, you'll benefit from Linda's perspective as well.
Linda has also put together a special free guide just for the listeners of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast to help you find the business school that's the perfect fit for you. Download it here:
Free Guide: Best MBA Programs — A Guide to Selecting the Right One
And if you need to boost your test score to improve your chances of getting accepted to your top-choice school, check out our top-rated prep courses for the GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, LSAT, and SAT.
As always, be sure to subscribe to the podcast so that you're alerted when new episodes drop each week. If you like what you hear, please write a favorable review. And if there's a topic you want us to cover in an upcoming episode, let us know. We'll do our best to work it in. Thanks for listening!